The Ohio Travel Association (OTA) is the umbrella trade association for all sectors of the tourism industry, including museums, attractions, convention & visitors bureaus, hotels, restaurants, ferryboats, industry suppliers and more. It’s a fun industry, and we are passionate about tourism, its businesses and the people who put smiles on the faces of our guests every day. A nonprofit organization, OTA is governed by a 25-member industry board and has a small staff. That means, most of us do a little bit of everything. It keeps the environment fast-paced and always changing. OTA is the advocate for the tourism industry, so we are the voice when it comes to industry legislative interests at the local, state and federal level. We equip our industry with the skills and information they need, so we coordinate the state tourism conference, various workshops and learning labs, and explore new ways to provide professional development. Through one-on-one consultations, as well as connecting industry members to resources, OTA strengthens the authenticity, relevancy and excitement of Ohio travel experiences. The organization also produces Heartland Travel Showcase, a 12-state marketplace where tour operators meet with attractions, museums, cities and others to book group travel business.
Overall Purpose of Position
Further the brand of the Ohio Travel Association as an industry-led organization that works to strengthen, equip and develop Ohio’s $43 billion tourism industry.
General Summary of Duties
- Influence and coordinate direct print, digital, and social media communications strategy and management
- Influence and coordinate content creation strategy
- Direct database management process and strategy
- Represent the organization, and thereby the industry, at various meetings and events as needed
- Serve as a project leader and committee liaison for the public relations/marketing board committee
- Support other project leaders with communications and marketing skills and advice
- Manage OTA internship program
Influence and coordinate print, digital and social media communications strategy and management
- Manage ohiotravel.org, ohioconferenceontravel.com, heartlandtravelshowcase.com and ohiotourismworks.com websites
- Work with staff and subject matter experts to develop relevant, meaningful content and maintain association content strategy and web standards.
- Work with staff and web vendors to continuously improve the usability, design and content of the association’s website.
- Monitor and report regularly on website analytics.
- Work with vendors to troubleshoot problems with the website and respond to user requests and comments.
- Strategize, coordinate and create weekly newsletter (eClips), social media campaigns, electronic alerts and bulletins, print publications, and other communications and marketing tools as needed
- Coordinate and execute e-mail campaigns to various audiences within and outside of membership, meeting deadlines, following timelines, and ensuring uniformity of content/messaging.
- Coordinate development of marketing collateral for association programs and membership that align with association brand standards (i.e., promotional flyers, programs, etc.)
- Work closely with membership team to drive member prospecting activities via promotional campaigns and prospect outreach.
- Maintain content and production calendar, keeping up-to-date on all timelines.
- Design and edit graphics for web, social media, and print, or work with freelance designer as needed.
- Track email analytics and report on impact and success; research and introduce innovative methods and outlets for member communications.
- Manage vendor relations and budgets for email provider, graphic designers, printers, signage companies, etc.
- Develop and implement marketing and communications strategy and action plans
- Manage online events development and registration
Influence and coordinate content creation strategy
- Coordinate and execute social media campaigns and ensure alignment with overall marketing campaign and association mission.
- Manage social media editorial calendar and post valuable, shareable content regularly, ensuring association is positioned as an industry leader online.
Direct database management and strategy
- Primary administrator of content management system (CMS), currently TCS.
- Oversee database management for Ohio Travel Association and Heartland Travel Showcase
- Develop recommended policies, protocol and training to ensure database integrity
Represent the organization, and thereby the industry, at various meetings and events
- Provide assistance and exceptional customer service at OTA functions, such as the state tourism conference, Heartland Travel Showcase, regional meetings, and workshops
- Represent the organization at various member functions as assigned, such as annual meetings
Serve as a project leader and committee liaison for the public relations/marketing board committee
- Work with the committee chair to develop action plans for the committee following the annual board planning retreat
- Serve as the OTA staff liaison for the committee, providing assistance to ensure meetings are efficient and effective, attending meetings and reporting progress on committee goals routinely
Support other staff project leaders with communications and marketing skills and advice
- Provide communications and marketing expertise and assistance to various OTA projects, such as the state tourism conference, Ruby Awards marketing awards program, legislative efforts, etc.
Manage OTA internship program
- Work with universities and community colleges to promote OTA communications internship program
- Manage OTA interns (typically two per year), including assigning tasks and evaluating
Qualifications and Education Requirements
This is an entry-level position designed to enhance skills and provide valuable work experience. Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
Exceptional writing, editing and verbal communication abilities. Tech-savvy. Creative and strategic thinking. Independent worker, yet also a good team player. Willingness and eagerness to learn. Focused, even in an environment where priorities may change frequently.
Please forward cover letter and resume to the following (email submissions are acceptable). Deadline for submission is May 11, 2018:
Melinda Huntley, Executive Director, Ohio Travel Association
1801 Watermark Dr., Suite 375
Columbus, OH 43215