Marketing and Communications Intern
National Veterans Memorial and Museum
The National Veterans Memorial and Museum (NVMM) in Columbus, Ohio, represents a national initiative of profound importance for our nation's 20+ million living veterans. There was previously no single monument or museum dedicated to sharing the Veteran's experience. With 30,000 square feet of exhibit space, this institution celebrates the service and honors the sacrifice of Veterans throughout history in war and peacetime. The memorial and museum was envisioned by the late Senator John Glenn (1921-2016), Colonel, U.S. Marine Corps (Retired), as a gathering place for Veterans from across the country. The NVMM presents the Veteran experience through the lens of personal stories and life changing experiences from which visitors will be inspired to learn more about our country's history and actively engage in their own communities as informed citizens.
The NVMM seeks a Marketing Communications intern to assist the External Affairs Office. Candidates must have excellent communication skills, strong writing skills, and ability to work in a creative, team environment. Schedule is typically Monday through Friday, although occasional weekend and evening hours are available. The NVMM staff is required to wear masks in the office. Each department is on a schedule of alternating days in the office and teleworking days from home to minimize numbers of staff in the office on any given day. Most meetings are conducted virtually through Teams, however, some meetings are in person when needed and there is a large enough space available to allow recommended social distancing.
This is a paid internship position. Course credit may be available depending on school requirements. Letters of recommendation are provided after the successful completion of the internship.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Social Media: Assist with research, write posts, source images, assist with scheduling calendar.
- Communications: Assist with writing content for newsletters, layout copy, edit stories,
work with database/ distribution lists.
- Media Relations: Draft press releases, develop digital media kits, execute follow-up communications, post news releases to
- Digital Content/Content Marketing: Assist with content development including writing
and sourcing images, update website content, participate in content meetings and contribute to content calendar. Assist in coordination of blog and social content.
- Strategic Marketing & Communications: Participate in meetings to determine how to
promote exhibits and events to various audiences; assist in development of marketing/communications plans.
- Digital Visual Communications: Shoot photos and/or video at events or to capture
Veteran stories; edit digital files for social media and the website.
- Organizational Support: Provide support to other departments as needed, when assigned by the Associate Director of External Affairs. These may include but are not limited to: special projects, visitor services and the Office of the CEO).
In the performance of their major duties and responsibilities, all employees of the organization are expected to fulfill the following:
- Gain a general understanding of United States Veterans
- Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct
- Interact professionally with other employees, constituents, and
- Work effectively as a team contributor on all
- Work independently, while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and
- Intern applicants should be in their 3rd or 4th year of studies or be recent
- Prior internships and/or paid employment is
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment are
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and an ability to interact with persons of diverse jobs, backgrounds, and
- Photography and video shooting and editing skills
- Ideal candidates are detailed-oriented, organized, and have a strong understanding of NVMM's mission or a desire to
- Interns should demonstrate superior discretion, judgment, and the ability to work with minimal
- Able to work well in a team environment, handle multiple assignments and meet
- Candidate must be able to maintain a professional manner by using tact, initiative, good judgment, and confidentiality at all
NVMM APPLICATION PROCESS
For consideration, please email a cover letter, educational transcripts, resume and dates of availability to Jobs@nationalvmm.org . If possible, send all documents in one pdf file. Please be sure to include the title of the position, Public Relations Intern, in the subject of the email.
Resumes will be accepted for this position through August 10, 2020. Only selected qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview. No phone calls will be accepted.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
NVMM is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant for employment or any employee because of age, color sex, disability, national origin, race, religion or military Veteran status.