Ohio Travel Association
The Ohio Travel Association (OTA) is the umbrella trade association for all sectors of the tourism industry, including museums, attractions, convention & visitors bureaus, hotels, restaurants, ferryboats, industry suppliers and more. It’s a fun industry, and we are passionate about tourism, its businesses and the people who put smiles on the faces of our guests every day. A nonprofit organization, OTA is governed by a 25-member industry board and has a small staff. That means, most of us do a little bit of everything. It keeps the environment fast-paced and always changing. OTA is the advocate for the tourism industry, so we are the voice when it comes to industry legislative interests at the local, state and federal level. We equip our industry with the skills and information they need, so we coordinate the state tourism conference, various workshops and learning labs, and explore new ways to provide professional development. Through one-on-one consultations, as well as connecting industry members to resources, OTA strengthens the authenticity, relevancy and excitement of Ohio travel experiences. The organization also produces Heartland Travel Showcase, a 12-state marketplace where tour operators meet with attractions, museums, cities and others to book group travel business.
Overall Purpose of Position
Further the brand of the Ohio Travel Association as an industry-led organization that works to strengthen, equip and develop Ohio’s tourism industry.
General Summary of Duties
- Manage and influence print, digital, and social media communications strategy
- Influence and coordinate content creation strategy
- Direct database management and strategy
- Liaison and secure group tour operators (similar to meeting planners) for Heartland Travel Showcase
- Represent the organization, and thereby the industry, at various meetings and events as needed
- Serve as a project leader and committee liaison for the public relations/marketing board committee
- Support other project leaders with communications and marketing skills and advice
Manage and influence print, digital and social media communications strategy
- Manage org, ohioconferenceontourism.com and heartlandtravelshowcase.com websites
- Strategize, coordinate and create weekly newsletter (eClips), social media campaigns, electronic alerts and bulletins, print publications, and other communications and marketing tools as needed
- Develop and implement marketing and communications strategy and action plans
- Manage online events development and registration
Influence and coordinate content creation strategy
- Assist executive director in the development and implementation of content strategy and action plans
- Assist executive director in researching material, selecting best communications vehicle, and developing educational content for Ohio’s tourism industry
Direct database management and strategy
- Oversee database management for Ohio Travel Association and Heartland Travel Showcase
- Develop recommended policies, protocol and training to ensure database integrity
Liaison and secure group tour operators (similar to meeting planners) for Heartland Travel Showcase
- Develop and implement tour operator recruitment and retention efforts, including setting targets, developing goals and strategy, overseeing marketing and communications, follow-up to prospective operators, assisting with registration, and customer service
Represent the organization, and thereby the industry, at various meetings and events
- Provide assistance and exceptional customer service at OTA functions, such as the state tourism conference, Heartland Travel Showcase, regional meetings, and workshops
- Represent the organization at various member functions as assigned, such as annual meetings
Serve as a project leader and committee liaison for the public relations/marketing board committee
- Work with the committee chair to develop action plans for the committee following the annual board planning retreat
- Serve as the OTA staff liaison for the committee, providing assistance to ensure meetings are efficient and effective, attending meetings and reporting progress on committee goals routinely
Support other staff project leaders with communications and marketing skills and advice
- Provide communications and marketing expertise and assistance to various OTA projects, such as the state tourism conference, Ruby Awards marketing awards program, legislative efforts, etc.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
This is an entry-level position. Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
Exceptional writing, editing and verbal communication abilities. Tech-savvy. Strong sales skills. Creative and strategic thinking. Independent worker, yet also a good team player. Willingness and eagerness to learn. Focused, even in an environment where priorities may change frequently. Experience in Canva is a plus.
Please send cover letter, resume and writing samples/portfolio to Janet Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org.