Sales Manager – Sports, Meetings and Events
Clermont County Convention and Visitors Bureau (CVB)
The Sales Manager is responsible for working with existing and new meeting and sports venues within the county to book meetings, tournaments or create events which will draw attendees, participants and spectators on a regional or national basis. This position must have good interpersonal skills, be willing to work some weekend and evening hours, be able to negotiate contracts and third-party agreements and be flexible to the ever-changing needs of the clients.
Reports To: CVB President
- Establish annual sales strategy for meetings market and sports business development, which includes goals for number of hotels rooms, number of new meetings and events to be secured and economic impact.
- Assist marketing in preparation of sales collateral materials that will be presented to outside sports and event managers to showcase Clermont County as a sports event and meeting destination.
- Maintain relationships with current owners/managers of all Clermont County sports venues. This includes being aware of their general schedule, types of events they currently have, what events they would be open to and knowing the amount of available space/fields they may have.
- Maintain relationships with current owners/managers of all Clermont County meeting and banquet venues. This includes being aware of their current monthly schedule, types of meetings and events they host, what events they would be open to and knowing the amount of available space they may have.
- Perform research (via internet and other media sources) for event opportunities already in the county that could be expanded, from outside the county and/or events which take place in the region that could be brought to Clermont County.
- Handle all aspects of meeting and sports business development including finding leads, preparing bids, follow-up via phone and email, presentations, site visits and on-site customer service, prepare event wrap-up for client, venues, sponsors (if applicable) and CVB to show ROI and value analysis of each meeting or event.
- Ensure Clermont County CVB is represented as sponsor or partner in all sports events secured. Work with Marketing and Communications Manager to ensure maximum exposure for clients, venues and CVB.
- Represent Clermont County CVB at applicable sports conventions, association marketplaces and local organization meetings to maintain positive CVB profile and obtain new business leads for sports and events.
- Develop and maintain relationship with local key contacts that might be willing to act as members of a Local Organizing Committee (LOC), if necessary, to obtain an event bid.
- Maintain monthly contact with hotel sales staff through email, phone calls, and scheduled meetings.
- Send RFPs to hotels and third-party agencies to secure room blocks for meetings and events, as well as manage room blocks for events hosted by CVB.
- Sell local sponsorships to select CVB managed sports events.
- Track hotel usage and provide monthly and year-end Excel reports.
- Organize and lead CVB roundtable discussions with hotel sales team and general managers.
- Maintain and expand sports events, conferences/meetings, venues and related contacts in Simpleview CRM database.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the CVB President.
- Bachelor’s degree in Sports Management, Business Management, Hospitality, Marketing or other related field preferred.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of meeting/conference sales, hotel sales, sports sales, sponsorship sales, marketing and event management experience. Experience in sports and special event management, conference planning, tourism and hospitality industry a plus.
- Must be a self-starter, organized, detailed and customer focused.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to use technology (Microsoft Office and Simpleview CRM database) to optimize time and increase outreach to clients.
- Ability to work independently, while maintaining team approach with co-workers.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends to manage events, attend events and/or complete tasks.
While performing the duties of this job the employee will be required to:
- Walk, sit, bend and squat
- Talk and hear
- Grab, pull or bend items
- Lift and/or carry up to 40 lbs.
- View items at a close and distant range
- Sit, stand and walk for extended periods of time
- Use computers for extended periods of time
- General office environment
- Outdoors year round at sports events, with a variety of temperatures and weather conditions
- Travel to Conferences/Seminars
Salary & Benefits:
The CVB provides a competitive salary and bonus. An attractive benefits and retirement package is offered for full-time employees.
Please send your cover letter and resume to Jeff Blom, President, at firstname.lastname@example.org by November 28, 2022. For more information on the Clermont County Convention and Visitors Bureau, please visit www.discoverclermont.com.
The Clermont County Convention and Visitors Bureau is a professional destination marketing and sales organization. The CVB is an equal opportunity employer.