NEW! Operations Director
Ohio Commission for the U.S. Semiquincentennial (America 250-Ohio)
Salary: $95,000 - 105,000 per year
Benefits: Full Benefits including medical, dental, vision insurance, paid time off and holiday, public retirement pension
Special Notes: Employees of the Ohio Commission for the U.S. Semiquincentennial are considered employees of Ohio History Connection. Positions with the Commission are temporary through December 2026 when the commission will complete its main operations. This position requires in-person work at our Columbus office, 4 - 5 days per week with some statewide travel and evening/weekend work required.
About the Commission:
The Ohio Commission for the U.S. Semiquincentennial (also referred to as America 250-Ohio) was formed through the Ohio Revised Code: Section 149.309 and announced on March 1, 2022 on Ohio's Statehood Day by Governor Mike DeWine. The (29) member commission is charged with preparing the state to participate in the United States of America's 250th anniversary which culminates on July 4, 2026.
For more information, click on: Get to Know America 250-Ohio
During this multi-year commemoration, Ohioans from our local communities in all 88 counties, will be the spotlight of the impact that has/is/will be made on our nation's story. From the many "Firsts" that came from Ohio, (i.e. Aviation, Universities/Colleges, National Organizations), to the sacred stories of our residents, and the unique areas of the state that continues to evolve, the rich content of our state will be an opportunity for all people to connect and see themselves in Ohio's story...as well as the story of our nation.
The Director of Operations will play a key role in the administration for America 250-Ohio by providing additional capacity to the America 250-Ohio team in the areas of budget management and oversight, strategic plan implementation oversight, project management, and grants management.
- Regular oversight of the organizational budget, including tracking it monthly, to determine challenges or opportunities. Develop a report for the Executive Director and staff on budget alignment and recommend adjustments as needed. Prepare quarterly budget/results report for the full commission.
- Help develop FY '25 budget allocations based on guidance from the commission and Executive Director for operations and discretionary projects.
- Help prepare the FY '26-27 budget request by developing the appropriate projections of needed budget for the peak of the AM 250-OH experiences.
- Liaison with Ohio History Connection (OHC) Finance Team
- Manage the grants award process with OHC Finance to administer the appropriate paperwork for awardees to receive their grants.
- Serve as the key internal contact for grant awardees to address any questions, challenges, etc., may set up a rotation of check-ins with grant awardees on project progress if needed.
- Oversee the implementation of the strategic plan and related projects - track progress by monitoring team input and reports and help remove barriers to accomplishment. Provide periodic reports on KPI's and progress to the Executive Director, staff, and commission (as needed).
- Serve as the primary project manager on 2-3 projects, where the expectation is to move the project forward, including the development of the strategy (where appropriate) and implementation. May be done in partnership with other team members, committee members or work groups.
- Serve as the key staff liaison for the committee co-chair leadership group; convene and manage meetings, communicate outcomes, and provide thought leadership and guidance to the group. Provide information/feedback to staff who are the liaisons to committees as needed.
- Serve as the key staff liaison on 2-3 committees (aligned with project management responsibilities). In this role, maintain close contact with the committee co-chairs and serve as a communications pathway between the committee and the staff. Identify opportunities and barriers that need to be addressed.
- Serve in the capacity as additional contact for state legislators, state division leaders, and key community contacts as assigned. Speak on behalf of the commission at meetings, conferences, and special events, as needed.
- Provide the AM 250-OH staff with systems, tools, and procedures that streamline and support the rapid deployment of their projects and remove barriers to their success.
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university, or higher in Business, Finance, Accounting, or related field of study.
- Minimum of five years of progressive responsibilities
- Has demonstrated project management experience and has used project management best practices to complete projects on time and within budget.
- A strong communicator both in spoken and written communications
- Demonstrated acumen with budget development and management.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Identify as a life-long learner, curious and open to new ideas.
- Have a strong sense of their own identity as well cultural awareness, sensitivity, and competency.
- Have a positive and collaborative attitude and thrive on teamwork.
- Respect for others' ideas and perspectives and brings out the best in others.
- Has experience building relationships across a wide spectrum of people - i.e., "from the mailroom to the board room."
- Is familiar with Ohio, its regions, places, and people who can use this knowledge to further the work of AM 250-OH
- Flexible and able to pivot as conditions change with a positive attitude.
- Comfortable with feedback, enjoys improving performance based on experience and data.
- Thrives in a dynamic environment where new ideas, challenges, and changes are the status quo.
- Experience with working with state governmental agencies.
Submit resume and cover letter through the Ohio History Connection at https://www.applicantpro.com/openings/ohiohistory/jobs. For questions or accommodations requests, please email email@example.com or call 614-297-2500.