Social Media Coordinator
Columbus Zoo and Aquarium
- Maintains the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium’s social media accounts in addition to the social media accounts for Zoombezi Bay, The Wilds and Safari Golf Club.
- Writes content and schedules posts for all social media accounts including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest, SnapChat, TikTok and others.
- Increases and monitors social media presence on platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest and Instagram. Also provides analytics.
- Works with the Communications Manager and/or Director of Communications on implementing Facebook Live opportunities
- Use social listening/monitor social media through Sprout Social to engage and respond to fans and potential guests.
- Produce weekly and monthly social media reports, as well as provides social media analytics to department teams.
- Assists with the production of strategic communications, including developing social media plans to support our organization’s initiatives including but not limited to events, partnership promotions, philanthropy, hiring, and animal-related updates.
- Provides additional editing support for communications including but not limited to press releases, the Beastly Banner, Beastly Bytes, and other eblasts.
- Assists with media relations and various public relations projects, including escorting media onsite as necessary.
- Assists Communications Manager with responding to blogger requests.
- Works with the Communications Assistant to organize a digital photo library on the All Share drive that departments (including Philanthropy, Strategic Partnerships, Group Sales, Planning and Design, and others) can access to include in their communications to ensure brand consistency.
- Organize and maintain the Community Relations All Share and Shared drives (including those created by past employees) to create folders based on specific topic for the team’s easy access (i.e. social media, media relations, etc.).
- Serves as a liaison with community groups, regional tourism and business partners.
- Interfaces with internal staff and external guests, vendors, media and donors.
- Assists in maintaining media coverage archive and contact lists.
- Ensures budgetary guidelines are followed and all expenditures are approved and are in accordance with the department budget.
- Provides excellent customer service and performs general administrative and office duties as required.
- Constantly strives to further the mission of the organization and avidly supports the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, Zoombezi Bay, Safari Golf Club and The Wilds.
- Implements sustainable practices in daily tasks whenever possible.
- Functions as a strong team member and performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications or related field required.
- 1-3 years of related experience required.
- Graphic design experience desired.
- Proficiency in MAC and PC required.
- Photography experience preferred but not required.
- Position requires courteous and professional interpersonal skills.
- Must possess the ability to research and communicate information effectively and accurately.
- Must demonstrate strong organizational skills and the ability to identify and solve problems and to plan, implement, and work on multiple projects at once required.
- Must possess strong skills in writing, editing and proofreading.
- Ability to identify cost-effective and conservation-minded strategies required.
- Ability to positively relate to the media required.
- Must be proficient in maintaining media lists and databases for the Columbus Zoo and its entities.
- Ability to travel to The Wilds as necessary.
- Ability to communicate well both verbally and in writing required.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends and holidays required.
- Ability to plan and organize work in an efficient and cost-effective manner and without direct supervision required.
- Ability to provide excellent guest service by positively interacting with guests and upholding the Make it G.R.E.A.T. standards required.
- Ability to develop and maintain cooperative working relationships with all Zoo team members and contacts regarding company business required.
- Ability to adhere to standard operating procedures including but not limited to safety protocols required.
- Proof of negative TB screening prior to placement and annually thereafter required.
- Possession of a valid Ohio motor vehicle operator’s license and a good driving record required.
- Ability to adhere to the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium’s drug-free workplace policy including but not limited to pre-employment, random, post-accident, reasonable suspicion and follow-up treatment required.
- Ability to successfully complete a criminal history background check annually required.