Visitor Services Manager
Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Library & Museums
Full Time Exempt
VISITOR SERVICES MANAGER
The visitor services manager ensures that visitors to Spiegel Grove have a positive experience. This position works collaboratively with other staff to create a welcoming, friendly and professional environment for all. This position oversees front-of-house operations, handles soliciting and booking group visits to Spiegel Grove, and serves as the weekend manager of the site. The visitor services manager position is located within the Marketing and Public Relations team, which is chaired by the marketing & communications manager and includes the front desk receptionists, museum store manager, and the museum store staff & volunteers. This position reports to the marketing & communications manager, and supervises the front desk receptionists and museum store manager. The core focus of this position is to increase attendance and help visitors to “leave amazed.”
SCHEDULE: Work days are Wednesday through Sunday. Although hours are mostly during the day, flexibility to adjust work schedule as needed with evening events and tours is required.
Recommend, develop, and implement visitor services initiatives; monitor visitor service trends in the museums and arts/culture industry for applicable improvements at Spiegel Grove.
Work collaboratively with internal staff and the local convention and visitors bureau to prospect, solicit, and book group tours. Ensure the site and front line staff are prepared for each group’s visit. Network with internal staff and external tourism industry professionals to assist in the development of creative experiences for group travelers.
Oversee the operation of the reception desk and museum store. These areas handle daily ticket sales, online ticket sales, special event ticket sales, store sales, and general customer service.
Manage the point-of-sale system and the online ticketing system. This includes adding and updating event and admission prices, troubleshooting tech issues, and making suggestions for improvements and efficiency.
Inspect and monitor the museums’ facilities and exhibits to ensure that they are in good condition and that visitors are properly served. Report issues to relevant staff, such as the buildings and grounds superintendent or the curator of artifacts.
Ensure that all directional and visitor information signage is up to date. Facilitate requested accommodations from visitors with special needs.
Keep the Hayes Presidential website updated with current visitor information.
Work with the store manager to prepare and manage the operational budget for the museum store and front desk.
Other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including occasional evenings, Mondays/Tuesdays, and holidays, and in critical situations as required
- Punctual and reliable
- Friendly with a professional, diplomatic demeanor
- Able to work independently without close supervision
- Excel in a collaborative work environment
- Exceptionally well organized
- Resourceful problem solver
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize conflicting needs
- Proficiency in computers, data management and point of sales systems, as well as with MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint), web-based applications (the museum uses Google Calendar for staff and public event scheduling), and social media (currently Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Exemplary verbal, written communication and project-management skills
A bachelor’s degree in hospitality, tourism, communications, or a related field, plus at least two years of leadership and supervisory experience the customer service or retail fields; such experience in the arts and culture industry is preferred.